Probate Lawyer Settles Decedents’ Estates
Advice and representation for executors and administrators
Probate normally refers to the court process of validating a will so an executor can implement the decedent’s wishes, or, alternatively, the oversight the court provides for an estate administrator who settles an intestate (without a valid will) estate. Whether a will exists or not, the process of settling a probated estate may be complex.
I have extensive experience advising clients who act as executors and administrators. Executors and administrators are responsible fiduciaries and the law may hold them accountable for losses due to errors or misconduct. My law firm guides executors and administrators through this complex process.
Guiding you through the probate process
The responsible executor’s or administrator’s duties for settling the estate may include the following tasks:
- Filing an application to probate the will or seeking probate administration with the proper probate court
- Receiving court approval as estate executor or administrator
- Developing the best strategy for fairly and expeditiously settling the estate
- Identifying, assembling and protecting the assets
- Closing and opening bank accounts
- Collecting amounts owed the estate
- Locating beneficiaries
- Transferring assets from the deceased to the estate
- Paying current and delinquent taxes as well as estate taxes
- Paying creditors and claimants
- Hiring experts, when appropriate
- Valuing, managing, preserving and liquidating the estate
I guide clients through the probate process, seeking to assist you settle your loved one’s estate as efficiently, quickly and easily as possible.
Capable management of probate disputes
Even in apparently straightforward estate cases, there arise sometimes disputes among beneficiaries or between certain beneficiaries and the executor/administrator. When representing the estate or the estate’s fiduciary or a beneficiary, I demonstrate the utmost professionalism in negotiations and in the courtroom. Whether the issue is a will challenge or allegations against a fiduciary’s management of estate assets, I advocate for my client’s rights.